Benefits of Reducing Green House Gasses
Today, we want to emphasize the importance and benefits of reducing greenhouse gas emissions and the steps you can take to reduce them. You still have this week to take the Reduce Energy Use DC pledge today!
Without reducing greenhouse gas emissions, our planet will continue to be harmed, public safety will be at risk, and more climate disasters caused by pollution will occur. Something to consider in your personal and business life is your carbon footprint. A carbon footprint is the total amount of greenhouse gas emissions from the production, use, and end-of-life of a product or service. It includes carbon dioxide — the gas most emitted by humans — and others, including methane, nitrous oxide, and fluorinated gases. These gasses trap heat in the atmosphere, causing global warming.
Four reasons why it is crucial to reduce greenhouse gas emissions:
1. Clearer Air & Skies – reducing our carbon emissions helps reverse the impact of global warming overall, but more specifically, benefits the overall air quality. Plus, it makes for clearer skies!
2. Save Money – the simple reduction of energy shrinks your carbon footprint and operating expenses.
3. Healthier Water Supply – Greenhouse gas emissions raise air temperatures, directly impacting the oxygen concentration in rainwater and contributing to lower rainfall levels.
4. Overall Health - With healthier air, water, and food, we can significantly reduce many climate-related health issues seen today.
Five ways YOU can reduce your greenhouse gas emissions:
1. Reduce your energy consumption. For example, turn down the heat, turn off your lights when you’re gone, and turn off your electronics when they’re not in use.
2. Drive efficiently, if at all. You can do many things while driving to reduce emissions. For example, go easy on the gas and the brakes, or consider using cruise control on long drives. Also, carpool wherever you can!
3. Invest in renewable energy sources, such as solar panels.
4. Consider buying energy-saving appliances. (Do you need some examples? Check out our blog on the benefits of energy-saving appliances here!)
5. Look for the Energy Star label. As we have said before, the items may cost more initially, but the energy savings will pay back the extra investment within a few years.
Being mindful of how your actions create greenhouse gas emissions can help you reduce your carbon footprint. Taking these steps is essential for individuals and businesses in D.C. and worldwide so take the Reduce Energy Use DC pledge today, and if you need tips on how to save energy, our blog has you covered!