Benefits of Energy Saving Appliances
As we are in the final month of the Reduce Energy Use pledge campaign, our goal throughout the month with #JulyTakeActionDC is to give businesses and individuals the best tips we can to help them save energy and money. So today, we have recommendations for energy-saving appliances and the benefits that come with utilizing them. Don’t forget to take the pledge here.
Anywhere that energy is used, there is an opportunity to improve efficiency. An example of this is energy-efficient light bulbs, which use less energy to produce the same amount of light. Other products don’t use power directly, but they improve the overall efficiency of houses or buildings (such as thermal insulation or windows).
Five examples of energy-saving appliances are as follows:
1. LED lightbulbs that have earned the ENERGY STAR label use 70-90% less energy than an incandescent light bulb while providing the same illumination.
2. Energy-efficient windows are made with materials that reduce heat exchange and air leaks, which means you don’t need as much energy to heat or cool a space.
3. Adding more insulation to an attic keeps the warm air inside from escaping in the winter. In the summer, it keeps hot air out. With good insulation, you won’t need to use as much energy to keep your house warm in the winter or cool in the summer.
4. Clothes dryers are one of the most energy-consuming appliances in one’s home. ENERGY STAR® certified dryers use 20 percent less electricity than a conventional model, which will save you $210 in electric bills over your energy-efficient dryer’s lifetime.
5. An excellent investment for businesses may be a smart thermostat. These are Wi-Fi-enabled devices that control heating and cooling in your home. You can schedule this thermostat to automatically adjust to energy-saving temperatures when you are asleep or away. They can help you lower your energy bills by not spending money to heat or cool an empty house.
Now that you have an idea of some energy-saving appliances, what are the benefits of making the switch? Virtually all energy-efficient appliances offer substantial savings. You may pay a little more upfront, but you’ll save every time you use your new appliances. In addition, many prospective homebuyers search for homes with energy-efficient upgrades and new Energy Star appliances. It is important to remember that energy efficiency protects the environment, saves money, reduces your carbon footprint, prevents greenhouse emissions, and ultimately helps address energy equity.
You still have a month to take the Reduce Energy Use DC pledge TODAY!